Nairobi Hiking Tour 2 Hour Walk Karura Forest
Nairobi Hiking Tour 2 Hour Walk Karura Forest | Karura Forest 2 hours Walking Tour | Friends of Karura Forest | Karura Caves Waterfalls Nairobi Forest Walk Karura | Nairobi Karura Forest Cycling Tours | Karura Forest Hiking | Karura Forest Picnic Site | Karura Nature Walk Karura forest 2 hours walking tour | Nairobi Karura Forest Activities | Kenya Forest Service Karura Forest
Nairobi Hiking Tour 2 Hour Walk Karura Forest is a half day excursion to Karura Forest Reserve – an urban upland forest located about 5 km’s on the outskirts of Nairobi central business district, the capital of Kenya.
This 564 hectare forest is surrounded by the northern up-market suburbs of Muthaiga, Runda and Gigiri, with Kiambu Road on one side and Limuru Road on the other.
The tour begins by a pickup from your hotel/ residence followed by a short drive to the starting point called the Karura Forest Station, located along Kiambu Road.
Our Karura Forest hiking tour comprises of an easy walk on dirt road that turns to a narrow trail close to the end. It lasts about 2 hours and is ideal for the whole family or group team building.
Karura Forest offers various attractions to its visitors such as picnic sites, Mau Mau caves, marked walking trails, scenic waterfalls and rivers and small wetlands that are habitats for birds.
There is also the incinerator formerly used by Central Bank of Kenya to burn old currency notes and the area around which the late Professor Wangari Maathai carried out a campaign against illegal acquisition of forest land.
The Forest offers the following activities:
* Forest walks
* Forest drives
* Bird watching
* Butterfly watching
Nairobi Hiking Tour 2 Hour Walk Karura Forest Route Description
Karura Forest hiking tour begins from the Forest Station on Kiambu Road and the walk to Karura Caves and Waterfalls is about 4 km long. This family trail was opened to the public in early 2009 through the collaborative efforts of the Kenya Forest Service and Friends of Karura.
After walking on motor vehicle dirt roads from the Forest Gate for a couple of kilometers, you’ll encounter a sign pointing to a trail on the right that leads to the Caves.
The trail drops sharply until it reaches Karura River, before leveling off to follow the course of the river. A few meters on, you’ll come upon the Karura Caves. These caves were considered sacred by the local community, with a long history of usage as a place for religious worship.
They are also reputed to have been a hideout for the Mau Mau during the fight for independence from the British colonial government.
A kilometer further down the trail is the spectacular 50ft Karura Waterfalls, with water cascading over three shelves before settling to a gentle flow down the river.
Besides the two attractions above, Karura Forest has over 50 km of nature trails, a bamboo forest, and a marshland filled with a wide range of birdlife.
They provide the perfect backdrop for nature lovers. An old chimney incinerator that was used in the past by Central Bank of Kenya for destroying decommissioned currency notes still stands today in the forest.
Nairobi Hiking Tour 2 Hour Walk Karura Forest Prices
|Dates From||Dates To||Price Per Person||8 to 12 Year Child|
|1st January 2019||31st December 2019||Request for rates||Request for rates|
* The forest is very secure with security guards all over the forest
* During the rainy season Karura Forest gets really muddy, therefore you need comfortable walking shoes or trainers
* Bring along drinking water, binoculars, camera and wildlife books to educate yourself, especially for birds and butterflies
Nairobi Hiking Tour 2 Hour Walk Karura Forest Rates Includes:
* Price per person
* 2 Armed Rangers from Kenya Forest Services
* All Park Entry Fees, Service Charge and Taxes
* Visit Karura Forest along Kiambu Road, Nairobi – Kenya
* Pickup from your hotel in Nairobi and drop-off to your hotel
* Professional English speaking guide from Friends of Karura Forest
Nairobi Hiking Tour 2 Hour Walk Karura Forest Rates Excludes:
* Travelers Insurance
* Gratuity to your Driver/ Guide
* Personal expenses such as drinks
* Optional activities the stipulated itinerary
* Meals, sightseeing not included in the package
* Communication charges, visas, international airfares and airport taxes
* Transfers to/ from the airport (supplement airport transfer cost applies for tours starting from the airport)
Booking & Reservations for Nairobi Hiking Tour 2 Hour Walk Karura Forest Contacts;
Booking Office Tel: + 254 718-179-967
Mobile : + 254 721-242-711