Kampala 1 Day Trip Mabamba Bay Wetland Birding Tour
Kampala 1 Day Trip Mabamba Bay Wetland Birding Tour | Mabamba Birding day Tour | 1 Day Mabamba Birding Tour | Bird Watching day trips Uganda Bird Watching day trips Kampala | Bird Watching Day Excursions | Kampla Day Tours Uganda | Mabamba Birding Watching Tour | 1 Day Mabamba Swamp Birding Safari | Guide for Bird Watching day trips in Uganda | Mabamba Swamp Shoebill Tours
Kampala 1 Day Trip Mabamba Bay Wetland Birding Tour is a bird watching day excursion to Mabamba Bay wetland located 36 km’s south west of Kampala on the shores of Lake Victoria in the Wakiso district.
Mabamba Bay is one of the most important bird areas (IBA) and one of the richest marshy areas along the Northern shores of Lake Victoria. Mabamba Bay wetland covers about 17,000 hectares of an expanse papyrus.
The site is the most accessible for spotting the wild species of Shoebill Stork in the whole world. The Birding excursion is done on the canoes in bog channels.
These hefty marshlands are home to an ecological unit of birds, animals, bugs, fish, that are not found elsewhere. The Shoebill is part of that ecology, preferring the loneliness of these large marshes.
Additionally, there are gazelles specifically adapted to the hovering flora.
A canoe voyage through papyrus swamp in the Mabamba will take you to the unscathed attractiveness of the wetland, where you will have the highest chance of seeing Shoebill and other papyrus specialist birds like Saddle-billed Stork, Malachite Kingfisher, African Jacana, and other swamp specialties.
Others bird species at Mabamba include the White-winged Warbler, Papyrus Gonolek, yellow-backed weaver, Northern Brown-throated Weaver, Blue-headed Coucal and other swamp specialties. In the afternoon, drive back to the Kampala or Entebbe.
Apart from Murchison Falls National Park, Mabamba Wetland is the only place and site where the elusive Shoebill can be spotted at anytime.
Kampala 1 Day Trip Mabamba Bay Wetland Birding Tour Itinerary
0700 Hours: After breakfast at your hotel, our driver-guide will meet you and transfer you to Mabamba Swamp located 50 km’s west of Kampala.
Just an hour’s drive from Kampala, you will be at Mabamba Bay Wetland – this site is recognized as an international Ramsar Site wetland.
Its global importance is derived from the fact that this wetland is home to rare and highly endangered bird species like the Shoebill, Papyrus Yellow Warbler and the Blue Swallow.
The shortest access route to the Swamp of about 60 minutes is via Entebbe town and drive to Nakiwogo landing site then cross by the ferry to Buwaya landing.
Thereafter drive for at least 20 minutes on a dirt road to Mabamba Bay Swamp for your birding adventure. You travel into the swamp in flat-bottomed boats (with a small quiet motor) with a guide and a boat driver who know the swamp.
At this site expect to see the elusive shoebill stork while in dugout canoe, this is a whole day experience. We take with us packed lunch and bottled mineral water to spend the day searching for these eye-catching birds.
Birds to see include: Goliath Herons, Spur-winged White-winged Warbler, Gull-billed Terns, Whiskered Terns, Grey-headed Gulls, Papyrus Gonolek, yellow-backed weaver, Northern Brown-throated Weaver, White-winged Black Terns, Pygmy Geese, Malachite kingfisher, Papyrus Canary, Northern Brown-throated weaver, Carruther’s Cisticola, Blue-headed Coucal among many others.
If time permits and are willing, make a stop at Bussi Island, which is home to farmers, fishermen, and charcoal makers. It is interesting to meet some local people and see big bags of charcoal being loaded into the boats to be sold in Entebbe.
The time for exploring the wetland will be approximately 6 hours in a traditional canoe before returning back to Kampala or Entebbe in the evening.
Kampala 1 Day Trip Mabamba Bay Wetland Birding Tour Prices
|Dates From||Dates To||Price Per Person||Child Aged 12|
Years & Below
|1st January 2019||31st December 2019||Request for rates||Request for rates|
* Mabamba Bay Wetland Birding Day Trip departs daily from Kampala or Entebbe
* Mabamba Swamp exploration of the wetland will be approximately 6 hours in a traditional canoe
* A jacket is recommended for the ride back across Lake Victoria since the waves pick up by the time you return to shore
* The wetland is a habitat for around 300 bird species recorded including the Pallid Harrier, Papyrus Gonolek, White-winged Warbler and the Blue Swallow
* Remember to take a camera, Insect repellant, sunglasses, sunscreen, bottle water, hat and a pair of your own binoculars and telephoto lenses. Wear comfortable shoes and clothing
Kampala 1 Day Trip Mabamba Bay Wetland Birding Tour Rates Includes:
* Picnic Lunch
* Kampala 1 Day Trip Mabamba Bay Wetland Birding Tour
* Pick-up from your hotel in Kampala and drop-off to your hotel
* All park entry fees, service charge and taxes where applicable
* 2 Boat rides in the morning and afternoon looking for the Shoebill stork (with a dugout canoe wooden boat)
* Professional English speaking guides. All are experts in the African wildlife, culture, and tour guiding, many of who speak other European languages
Kampala 1 Day Trip Mabamba Bay Wetland Birding Tour Rates Do Not Include:
* Tips or gratuity
* Travelers insurance
* Communication charges
* Visas, international airfares and airport taxes; meals
* Sightseeing not included in the package; optional activities
* Personal expenses such as transfers to/ from the airport (supplement airport transfer cost applies for tours starting from the airport)
Booking & Reservations for Kampala 1 Day Trip Mabamba Bay Wetland Birding Tour Contacts;
Booking Office Tel: + 254 718-179-967
Mobile/ WhatsApp : + 254 721-242-711
Mobile : + 254 721-242-711